Saturday, August 19, 2017

Spider-Man: Homecoming: Jon Watts


Now see, here's a Marvel movie where the nonstop succession of quips and pop culture references actually makes sense within the film itself. I didn't buy any of forced humor in, say, Scott Derrickson's Doctor Strange (2016). But the kind of tacky pop-culture lingo of the Marvel Cinematic Universe lends itself perfectly to Jon Watts' Spider-Man: Homecoming, a thoroughly delightful film that's easily one of the best of the franchise so far. Even though I was quite fond of the Andrew Garfield Spider-Man films, I have to admit that Homecoming is perhaps the best Spider-Man film since the first two Raimi ones. It's a great blend of small-scale action set-pieces--loved the Washington Monument bit--and endearing humor. Tom Holland is fine as Peter Parker, but he gets overshadowed by Michael Keaton as the Vulture. I'm not sure if I'm sold on the idea of Spider-Man being in Iron Man's pocket, but it makes sense in this particular universe.

8/10

2 comments:

  1. I liked this one a lot too. Loved Michael Keaton as Birdman... I mean the Vulture! ;)

    ReplyDelete