Tuesday, December 6, 2016

Everybody Wants Some!!: Richard Linklater


Like many of Richard Linklater's films, Everybody Wants Some!! hides some of the gentlest existential questing in American cinema veiled behind a sheen of performative masculinity. tl;dr -- it turns out the jocks who called me f****t in high school have deep thoughts about life, too. That's less of a joke than you might think. The characters in the film are by and large unapologetically douchey jocks who treat their social cruelties as expected, acceptable joshing. I know a lot of people don't think it's a big deal, but it all makes me all the more thankful that I didn't go to college with these bozos. Still, it's a warm film both unexpectedly funny and even occasionally sweet. Zoey Deutch blew me away; I hope she has a fantastic career ahead of her. Oh, and the soundtrack rocks, too. But you didn't need me to tell you that.

7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment