Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Randy Rides Alone: Harry L. Fraser


It's gotten to the point where all of these John Wayne Poverty Row Westerns are blurring together in my mind. Even worse, the blurring begins as soon as I finish watching them, making them a real hassle to review. So what did I think of Harry L. Fraser's Randy Rides Alone? Well, unlike some of the other public domain Westerns I've seen starring John Wayne, the story is at the very least somewhat coherent and followable. Plus, I enjoyed the climax due to a couple of long shots that featured up to a dozen people crawling up a mountain like ants while shooting at each other. The opening scene where John Wayne unknowingly walks into a saloon where everyone has been murdered was surprisingly effective as well (particularly in its use of a mechanical piano that goes on and on and on despite its owners being dead). Everything else about Randy Rides Alone is already a foggy haze...

4/10

No comments:

Post a Comment