Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Wolf Creek: Greg McLean


I hate Greg McLean's Wolf Creek. But it's not because of its violence or its treatment of women. First off, the film isn't even that gory or bloody. Critics who claim that it was some kind of abomination need to brush up on their video nasties. And yes, its female characters were treated in a despicable manner. But that's par for the course for this kind of movie. I hate Wolf Creek because it's boring, predictable, and worst of all, not scary. More and more I've found that when I am frustrated by a character's incompetence and stupidity in a horror film my suspension of disbelief is retarded, thereby preventing me from feeling scared or emotionally invested in the story. In other words, bad writing serves to remind me that I'm watching a movie. And the best horror films make you forget that. But not Wolf Creek. There was never a moment where I wasn't aware that I was watching a movie entitled Wolf Creek. Not even the film's impressive cinematography of the antediluvian Australian Outback could distract me from that.

4/10

No comments:

Post a Comment