Thursday, November 8, 2012

Tim and Eric’s Billion Dollar Movie: Tim Heidecker, Eric Wareheim


One of the ultimate challenges for film critics is to develop a criteria by which they judge comedies. What should be more important: skill, technique, performance quality? Or should we simply judge comedies based on how much they make us laugh? If I chose the latter, then I'd be forced to give Tim Heidecker and Eric Wareheim Tim and Eric’s Billion Dollar Movie a good review and a positive recommendation. Because, truth be told, there were several moments in the film when I found myself laughing unironically. And yet, I can't help but remind myself that it was a bad, bad, bad, bad movie. Based on Adult Swim's Tim and Eric Awesome Show, Great Job!, the film's eponymous leads blow a billion dollar budget on a three minute film and are forced to flee from their understandably miffed producers. How do they make the money back so they won't be killed? Why, renovate and re-open a mall, of course! This simple plot merely acts as a showcase for Tim and Eric to indulge in their trademark surrealistic forays into anti-humor through a number of sketches with bizarre, unpleasant people. And, yes, there were moments when I found their hijinks legitimately funny. But they were too few and far between. Tim and Eric’s Billion Dollar Movie is obnoxious and frequently nauseating. And, yes, I know that that was the entire point of Tim and Eric's shtick. But just because you are being ironically unfunny doesn't mean that somebody isn't going to unironically not like it.

2/10

No comments:

Post a Comment