Sunday, May 15, 2016

Eye in the Sky: Gavin Hood


The best part of Gavin Hood's Eye in the Sky is its ambiguity. It knows that the terrorists who want to set off suicide vests are evil and must be stopped, but it abhors the only means the West has to stop them: drone warfare. It knows that the lives of a few terrorists and an innocent young girl are worth sacrificing to save possibly 80+ lives, but it despises the fact that the decision must be made in the first place. It's a film about ambiguities and harsh realities. It's also the most suspenseful and tense film I've seen in literally years. I can't remember the last time I was so tense in a movie theater. In my opinion it blows Kathryn Bigelow's The Hurt Locker (2008) out of the water, both as a suspense film and as an examination of post-9/11 warfare.

8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment