A collection of informal movie reviews for the purpose of documenting my thoughts on the films that I watch.
Saturday, July 2, 2011
The Tree of Life: Terrence Malick
Some films defy explanation or categorization because they blaze such new ground, chart such unexpected territory, or contain such passionate vision. These are the films that spellbind audiences and film-lovers for generations and generations. Terrence Malick's new film The Tree of Life is not only destined to place among them, but to help rule them. Not so much a movie as a cinematic prayer, Malick uses the childhood memories of its protagonist as a metaphor for life, the universe, and existence itself. Containing a 20 minute sequence of the birth of the universe, The Tree of Life captivates with a terrifying and awe-inspiring power. It is a puzzle, a holy enigma of a film that will inspire countless interpretations, none of them ultimately correct. For how can you define the universe? Malick's film makes no attempt to answer this question, but instead celebrates the unanswerable question, the unknowable essence that binds us all.
10/10
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I love love love this film (seen it twice - in two different cities - so far). Malick's greatest work and a work of Proustian brilliance. Of course most people don't get it and walk out in frustration. Damn Philistines.
ReplyDeleteTELL me about it! My theater had disgruntled walkouts! I guess that some people just can't appreciate it for the genius piece of art that it is. But, to be fair, it is like nothing that I have ever seen before. If you aren't used to watching far out, philosophical art films, then I can understand how it can be frustrating and even annoying to watch.
ReplyDeleteBut regardless...this film was one of the most powerful that I have seen in years. It made me cry twice. It may not have an explicitly religious message, but I think that it is the most faith-affirming film to come out in YEARS. The creation of the universe scene is enough to make me want to fall on my knees and praise God.
Of course, this film is particularly poignant for me. I actually was also raised in a small town in Texas. My father was and still is a minister. So this film echoed my own childhood in many ways.
I hope this film gets a wider release so more people can see this beautiful piece of art.
I saw it with my friend Chris over at Recently Viewed yesterday. I joked with him that I'd like to take this film to a screening of "Transformers 3," lock the doors, and swap the reels. I still want to...although not as a joke anymore...
I would pay to see the reaction on those Transformers viewers. Hee-larious.
ReplyDeleteThe film is scheduled to go wide by the end of July, so who knows what will happen in the smaller towns. Many people will never trust Brad Pitt again.
>Many people will never trust Brad Pitt again
ReplyDeleteYou say that like it's a bad thing.
I kid, I kid...when he picks the right role he's a decent actor.
ReplyDelete