A collection of informal movie reviews for the purpose of documenting my thoughts on the films that I watch.
Sunday, September 4, 2011
David Holzman's Diary: Jim McBride
David Holzman wants to capture his life on film. So, at great financial and personal expense, he makes a documentary about his life and the people that he meets. The result is the curious David Holzman's Diary. This 74 minute piece of cinéma vérité takes a look at a man striving for truth within the cinematic idiom. The central dilemma is that the main character wants to make a fake documentary about himself. But is the act of capturing the making of a fake documentary itself a documentary? I'm sure that Jim McBride had all of these thoughts in his head when he was making this movie. Does he answer any of them? I'm not sure. I don't think answering them was ever his intention. I'm flummoxed by this film. So, out of fairness, I'm giving it a 5 on a scale of 1-10. Seems like the only fair thing to do.
5/10
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment