A collection of informal movie reviews for the purpose of documenting my thoughts on the films that I watch.
Wednesday, November 21, 2012
Clueless: Amy Heckerling
Were...were the Nineties really like this? I mean...I knew that I grew up in the 90s, but I don't remember everyone looking so garish. But then again, this was the decade when Burger King had a group of mascots that included a boy in a wheelchair named "Wheels" and another with a Virtual Boy permanently stuck to his head called "Kid Vid." But that's neither here nor there. Amy Heckerling's Clueless makes me very, very happy that I only experienced elementary school during the Nineties. The film is a modern adaptation of Jane Austen's novel Emma set in Southern California. Cher Horowitz is a vain, materialistic, but genuinely good-hearted high schooler who fancies herself a match-maker. After she successfully pairs off two of her teachers, she turns her attention to Tai Frasier, a frumpy new student. After she helps her transform into a social butterfly, Cher begins to think that maybe she made her a little too popular. I was honestly surprised by how well Austen's early 19th century novel translated to modern Beverly Hills. I guess that while fashions and cultures change, people do not. I am also fascinated by Cher. Usually vain teenage girls are depicted in movies as dumb and moronic. But one gets the impression that Cher might be one of the smartest kids in her school. So that's...progressive? I guess so. Cher definitely set the stage for Elle Woods and her little yappy chihuahua.
7/10
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment