Monday, August 1, 2011

Attack of the Crab Monsters: Roger Corman


Don't get me wrong...I love Roger Corman's work probably more than any movie buff should.  I admired his work so much that I actually held a blogathon specifically to appreciate his films.  But sometimes, even Corman's charm can't redeem one of his films.  Attack of the Crab Monsters is one of these films.  It sounds like the perfect set-up for classic Corman schlock: a group of scientists are trapped on an island full of giant crabs that had been mutated by nuclear radiation. Even better, the crabs gain the intelligence of those they attack and consume, allowing them to talk and taunt their captives!  But this film can't live up to the promises of its title and insane subject matter.  It has two primary flaws.  First, I estimate that about 1/3 of the film is stock footage and padding of people wandering the island and snorkeling.  These scenes don't add atmosphere or a sense of dread...they just serve to lengthen the film.  The second major problem is that Corman must have lit the film with a 20 watt light bulb.  Another good third of the film takes place in sets that are so dark that you literally can't see what's going on.  And I don't mean that in a positive way.  Corman isn't toying with what we can and can't see.  Instead, many of the scenes are filled with an opaque darkness that completely blot out the audience's vision.  Oh, the rest of the film is entertaining if you love B-movies and monster flicks.  The crabs costumes are pretty decent and threatening.  But it isn't worth the incoherence of a plodding film that you can barely see.

4/10

2 comments:

  1. Oh, dear! I had heard some good things about this film (especially about how scary when the crabs assume the voices of the people they ate) and wanted to see it - Thanks for the warning! (although I think I'll see it anyway)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh...if you're a fan of Corman and monster movies in general, it's worth a watch. Just...try to get a decent transfer so you can actually make out what's going on during the dark scenes.

    ReplyDelete