A collection of informal movie reviews for the purpose of documenting my thoughts on the films that I watch.
Sunday, January 10, 2016
Hour of the Gun: John Sturges
John Sturges' Hour of the Gun is a boring, staid, static, tepid, deflated affair. I do love the premise: focusing on the Wyatt Earp gang in the immediate aftermath of the gunfight at the O.K. Corral. And, to be fair, I found Jason Robards to be a surprisingly compelling Doc Holliday, particular during the early courthouse scenes where he's grilled about his involvement in the aforementioned shootout. I love his matter-of-fact answers to brutal questions about how many people he's killed and whatnot. But the rest of the film simply isn't compelling. It's a series of bland confrontations where Wyatt Earp & co. confront the members of the Ike Clanton gang one-by-one and kill them. There's a lot of stillness and silence, but very little of it carries weight or dramatic purpose.
5/10
Wrote a bit more about this film over here: http://theretroset.com/hour-of-the-gun-files-the-legend-prints-the-fact/
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment