A collection of informal movie reviews for the purpose of documenting my thoughts on the films that I watch.
Tuesday, May 13, 2014
The Apartment: Billy Wilder
[Revisit Review]
What is it with me giving Billy Wilder movies 8/10 scores? Once again I watch one of his most acclaimed films and I can't help but think, "That was very good, but not 9/10 or 10/10 material." His films must lack a certain je ne sais quoi. Take The Apartment, for example. It's a very good film. Jack Lemmon is heart-breaking as "Bud" Baxter. The screenplay is well-constructed and intelligent. And Joseph LaShelle's black-and-white widescreen cinematography is stunning! The film represents an excellent mixture of comedy and tragedy. And yet...I don't know. The individual bits and pieces of the film are outstanding. But altogether? I'm stumped as to why they leave me feeling so cold. Once more I find myself admiring the craftsmanship, but questioning the craft itself.
8/10
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

That's my same exact feeling with this film as well. What's even more shocking is that I usually love Billy Wilder films! (This excludes my love for Witness For The Prosecution, as it is due to my love of Agatha Christie.) I totally sympathized with this review. Keep up the good work. Maybe you can find that masterpiece of Billy's!
ReplyDeleteOh, I think I've already found a couple. I might have to do revisit reviews of them soon. And I'm SO HAPPY that somebody else agrees with me concerning this film!!
Delete