Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Shaun of the Dead: Edgar Wright


[Revisit Review]

I don't know if Edgar Wright's Shaun of the Dead will ever get the critical admiration or recognition it deserves. Oh sure, it has been hailed as one of the best British comedies of the last few decades. But that's just the point: people think of it as a comedy. Shaun of the Dead demonstrates one of the most remarkable syntheses of genres that I have ever encountered. Here is a film that cloaks itself in the trappings of genre films in order to transcend them. I have long believed that one of the hardest things to accomplish is to successfully blend comedy and tragedy. But Shaun of the Dead doesn't just mix comedy and tragedy; it adds horror as well. How many films can truly say that they are funny, tragic, and scary? The Evil Dead trilogy comes to mind, but its deliberate tongue-and-cheek nature is so overbearing that it never achieves tragedy. Shaun of the Dead might literally be in a league of its own.

10/10

No comments:

Post a Comment