Thursday, February 11, 2016

Pale Flower: Masahiro Shinoda


[Revisit Review]

I remember that one of the most validating things to ever happen to me as a film critic when I frist started writing articles at my other blog Forgotten Classics of Yesteryear was when Roger Ebert added Masahiro Shinoda's Pale Flower to his Great Movies list two or so months after I wrote an article on it. It felt like I had gotten the jump on my hero. At the time I gushed about Pale Flower as if it was one of the best Japanese films I'd ever seen. But upon second viewing I've significantly cooled on it. I still enjoyed it, but it didn't hit me as hard as the first time. I even suspect that maybe I had watched a different edit than the one that was inevitably used for the Criterion release which I watched this time around.

8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment