Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Curse of the Swamp Creature: Larry Buchanan


Larry Buchanan's Curse of the Swamp Creature is one of the most weepingly hilarious, unapologetically atrocious movies I've ever seen. Not a thing about the movie works: there is atrocious day-for-night shooting; laughable costumes that would be rejected from Party City; horribly racist “voodoo natives” whom I think were literally picked up off the streets of a nearby city (how many witchcraft shamans wear T-shirts and blue jeans?); ADR the likes of which makes one yearn for the sophisticated touch of Vic Savage's The Creeping Terror (1964); performances so wooden you could use them to build a log cabin (Jeff Alexander's turn as Dr. Simond Trent deserves to go down in history as one of the great bad movie performances); a nonsensical, meandering story; and stock footage of alligators feeding on Dr. Trent's victims that are integrated into the film with all the skill and nuance of a palsied lumberjack (I love how in scenes where the bodies are first thrown into the reptile-infested water you can see that it is so obviously a swimming pool).

1/10

No comments:

Post a Comment