
I am not a fan of Baz Luhrmann. I find his films to be shallow, stale, and derivative of much better movies. Case in point: Strictly Ballroom. I want to perform an experiment in this review. I want to see if I can describe this film solely through the use of cliches. After each cliche, I will add in parenthesis how it is exploited in this film. Here we go:
A Brilliant Yet Tortured Artist (Scott Hastings) finds himself at odds with A Dominating Circle of Critics (the Pan-Pacific Grand Prix Dancing Championship) who want to squash his innovative techniques. His Prima Donna Partner (Liz Holt) leaves him, so he partners up with the Quiet, Nerdy, Ugly Chick With Glasses, Acne, and Hair Pulled Into a Bun (Fran). After a Makeover (removing said glasses, treating her acne with foundation, and letting her hair go free) it is revealed that She Was More Than She First Appeared (she develops an accent and a Spanish identity once she comes out of her shell). Together they Beat the Odds (the horribly corrupt dance judges), Win the Championship (the Dancing Grand Prix), and Live Happily Ever After (the entire cast breaks into an impromptu dance party).
There...I actually did it. Strictly Ballroom is a film so horrendously riddled with cliches and unoriginality that I could literally describe it without describing it. In addition, all of the characters look like wax museum grotesqueness courtesy of John Waters. My advice: avoid this movie and gird yourself against his upcoming adaptation of The Great Gatsby.
4/10
No comments:
Post a Comment