A collection of informal movie reviews for the purpose of documenting my thoughts on the films that I watch.
Tuesday, May 31, 2016
The Jungle Book: Jon Favreau
I went into Jon Favreau's The Jungle Book expecting to like it. I didn't expect for it to become far and away one of my favorite films of the year. Here's a little reboot (or "re-imagining") that could: it managed to tell the story of both the original book by Rudyard Kipling and the original 1967 Disney animated film marvelously with a clarity of storytelling, pacing, and emotional control that in a strange way reminded me of George Lucas' Star Wars (1977). Not only was the storytelling magnificent, but it was visually incredibly as well. That one shot where we see the elephants for the first time where they emerge from the misty light of the jungle...My one nitpick is that the song sequence with King Louie didn't really work or fit with the rest of the film. They should have saved that song for the end credits.
8/10
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment