Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Hellraiser: Clive Barker


I think I can understand why the Hellraiser took off so magnificently after its debut.  The first film offered not one, not, two, but several interesting and terrifying monster/killers in the form of the Cenobites.  They had their own history, mythos, and motivations.  Plus, Clive Barker's eye for creative gore allowed for some of the most...ahem..."creative" decapitations that I have ever witnessed.  It feels like Barker is trying to create a morality tale about the virtues of free choice...but it largely falls flat.  Still, it is nice to look at, if you're into that sort of thing.  And it did feature some of the best monster and gore effects this side of John Carpenter's The Thing.  So if you want some mindless gore, this is a pretty good place to look.

5/10

4 comments:

  1. Pinhead always looked like a borg to me. I liked Hellraiser but I can't believe there are 9(!) hellraiser movies, plus a remake of the original planned for 2012!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You'd think after the first, I dunno...seven films...they would learn to NOT OPEN THE BOX!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very disappointed in this film; naturally I saw it when a friend and rented it (video) in 1987 or 1988. A very gross film & story; though Barker would do much better with a film NIGHTBREED which I enjoyed and saw a number of times. He's gotten better. Your review was a fit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've heard that some of Clive Barker's comics are pretty good...but I dunno..."Hellraiser" left a bad taste in my mouth.

    ReplyDelete