A collection of informal movie reviews for the purpose of documenting my thoughts on the films that I watch.
Saturday, October 20, 2018
Errementari: The Blacksmith and the Devil: Paul Urkijo Alijo
I remember growing up, I devoured books about the occult and supernatural. One of them involved monsters from Europe, and it contained one of my favorite bits of demonology: the forces of Satan could be distracted by scattering chickpeas or mustard seeds on a person's roof, as the monsters couldn't help but count them until the wee hours of the morning when sunlight destroyed them. I think Paul Urkijo Alijo's Errementari: The Blacksmith and the Devil might be the first movies I've ever seen that acknowledged it and made it a plot point. Oh, it's a fine little movie, replete with some excellent practical effects and makeup, a delicious Basque folklore tale, and a truly horrifying depiction of hell. But the chickpea method will forever keep it in my memory.
Rating: 7/10
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment