Saturday, March 18, 2017

After the Storm: Hirokazu Koreeda


I almost fell asleep 3 times during Hirokazu Koreeda's After the Storm. *dodges tomatoes* Wait, wait, wait, let me explain. It's not that I thought After the Storm was a bad film or a boring film. It's just that I didn't properly prepare myself for a film as leisurely paced as this quiet story about a divorced detective father struggling to reconnect with his family after the death of his father. There are many things about it that I loved, in particular a late sequence where the father, son, and later, the mother, sneak into a playground maze shaped like an octopus during a typhoon. It reminded me a lot of the drives my family would take during summer vacations down the Blue Ridge Parkway: many times I'd lose myself watching the rain in the comfort and warmth of the car while munching away at snacks. I think the film is tender, heart-felt, and silently powerful. But I still almost fell asleep 3 times watching it.

7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment