A collection of informal movie reviews for the purpose of documenting my thoughts on the films that I watch.
Monday, December 31, 2018
The Band's Visit: Eran Kolirin
I came to Eran Kolirin's The Band's Visit in kind of a round-about way. I originally saw the Broadway musical with my dad a few months ago. We both loved it, so I bought the original film version for Christmas. Having watched it together, I think we can both agree that the musical was better, but it's still a gorgeous and poignant film about loss and love between strangers in a strange land. It's very, very slow, but it's the rare kind of slow that lets you sink into its textures and rhythms instead of insisting on stilted stasis. Just a wonderful film. And hey! The lead actor in this movie was the same guy we saw on Broadway! Neat!
Rating: 8/10
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment