Tuesday, September 27, 2011

The Cycle Savages: Bill Brame


While watching Bill Brame's The Cycle Savages, I could practically hear conservatives and frustrated parents shaking their fists and yelling, "Damn you crazy kids!" This film revels in the crimes and free-wheeling lifestyle of a gang of bikers led by Bruce Dern. There is very little plot here...there's basically an artist who's drawing pictures of the bikers. They don't like that...for some reason...so they decide to mess him up good by destroying his hands. Not before they have a sex and drug fueled party, of course. Bruce Dern apparently needs to have a good shindig before he can properly conceive of how to pay this artist back for the audacity of drawing them. One of the centerpieces of this party is the raping and drugging of an innocent young woman. So...I feel confused by this film...is it advocating or condemning this lifestyle? I guess I shouldn't complain. For what it is, The Cycle Savages is a competently made film; there isn't a boom mike or camera shadow to be seen. Bruce Dern is incredible and psychotic, as usual. The soundtrack is full of fun, yet indistinguishable, rock tracks. It's a free-wheelin', crime committin', hand crushin' good time.

6/10

No comments:

Post a Comment