A collection of informal movie reviews for the purpose of documenting my thoughts on the films that I watch.
Saturday, September 17, 2011
Bad Taste: Peter Jackson
Years before Peter Jackson stunned the world with the Lord of the Rings trilogy, he made a name for himself as an exploitation/gore director. His most notorious and famous film from this period was Braindead, a film which is literally considered to be one of the goriest ever made. But before he was slicing up waves of the undead with a lawnmower in Braindead, he directed Bad Taste. The film more than lives up to its title. Made for $255,000 and starring his friends and film crew as characters (Jackson himself played two different roles), it is a nauseating romp of aliens, blood, and brain matter. Quite simply, aliens invade New Zealand in order to harvest humans for an intergalactic fast food chain. The Astro Investigation and Defence Service (AIDS) sends a whopping four agents to investigate the disappearance of an entire town after these invaders arrive. From there, the film descends into a smorgasbord of childish violence and carnage. I remember as a young boy I used to make movies with my friends with an old VHS camcorder that my parents owned. Bad Taste plays like one of these movies, only shot on better film stock and with grown men instead of children. It's sophomoric, poorly acted, gross, vile, and disturbing. And I loved it.
5/10 (Official Critical Rating)
8/10 (So-Bad-It's-Good Rating)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment