A collection of informal movie reviews for the purpose of documenting my thoughts on the films that I watch.
Sunday, November 11, 2018
Venom: Ruben Fleischer
Finally saw Ruben Fleischer's Venom. Whatta trainwreck. It wants to be this gritty, hard-R story that SAYS THING about the evils of CAPITALISM and ADDICTION. The problem is that it only really works when it embraces its destiny as a campy slapstick buddy comedy. I totally get why so many audiences liked it: once it gets going, it has a charming irreverent humor that feels more organic than all the eye-rolling sarcasm of James Gunn’s films. Eddie and Venom’s relationship was genuinely entertaining and fun to watch! The problem is that to get there it has to slog through the blandest, most paint-by-numbers first act I think I’ve ever seen in a superhero origin story. And even after it gets going the story beats could be predicted by a toddler. Given the stupid amount of money it made, a sequel is inevitable. Hopefully this time it’ll focus more on the Eddie/Venom dynamic that audiences actually enjoyed instead of rote save-the-world, science-is-evil story beats.
Rating: 5/10
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment