Thursday, June 9, 2016

Now You See Me: Louis Leterrier


Louis Leterrier's Now You See Me caught me off guard at first: I tweeted that I would have loved it if it hadn't been edited like a Michael Bay movie. See, Now You See Me is about magicians/illusionists. But it never allows the magic tricks/illusions to actually occur organically onscreen--they're all achieved either through CGI or heavy-handed editing. But then I realized that the tricks themselves were moot. They are the vehicle through which the film achieves its tremendous heist plot. I know a lot of critics didn't like this film, but I thought it had an amazing screenplay. I loved the characters, particularly how they filled traditional archetypes: illusionist, mentalist, street magician, escape artist. I loved Mark Ruffalo's character despite feeling his twist was a bit forced. This was a good film. I hope the sequel can live up to it.

7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment