Wednesday, March 1, 2017

Death Race 2050: G.J. Echternkamp


At first I hated everything about G.J. Echternkamp's Death Race 2050: the Hunger Games costumes, the political commentary that went stale during the Bush years, the copious amount of CGI gore and explosions. But as it went on, I became impressed by...*gasp*...the writing, of all things. In particular, I love the relationship between Frankenstein (Manu Bennett) and his observer Annie Sullivan (Marci Miller). Also, Folake Olowofoyeku as Minerva Jefferson? She damn near stole the whole film. And as the film continued, some of the gags got funnier and funnier.

"Stay at the 3 Season Hotel! The 3 Seasons! Because winter is a myth!"

Also, that Bechdel's Bar gag was worth watching the whole film. Death Race 2050 could have really benefited from more practical effects, but at least the cars were real. And to be honest, the whole thing was enjoyable stupid. But not too stupid. It was the right kind of stupid...for the most part, at least.

6/10

No comments:

Post a Comment