A collection of informal movie reviews for the purpose of documenting my thoughts on the films that I watch.
Friday, September 5, 2014
Thunderball: Terence Young
Let me make something clear: Terence Young's Thunderball doesn't really work. But I still admire it. The film doesn't work for a couple of reasons. First, it's too long. It was the first Bond movie to be over two hours in length. And, quite frankly, it doesn't have the steam to last its full run-time. The film's excitement is hobbled by a strange sense of tedium as they stretch the narrative out. Second, Connery's performance as Bond is...underwhelming. Truth be told, he seemed really tired. There were a few scenes where his charisma poked through, but overall he seemed weary and burnt out. But here's why I kind of liked Thunderball: any filmmaker that decides to set most of the major action scenes in their new movie underwater has balls of steel. Shooting this film must have been a nightmare. And, in my humble opinion, the underwater scenes were pretty damn good. I was shocked to find that most reviewers found them to be tedious and unintelligible. I couldn't disagree more. I thought that the scenes above the water were boring and repetitive.
6/10
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment