Friday, July 1, 2011

The Invisible Man: James Whale


By 1933, James Whale had already established himself as an visionary director, having helped kick off the Universal Studios Monsters film series with the smash hit Frankenstein.  He would further explore the realm of science gone mad with The Invisible Man, an adaption of the novel by H. G. Wells.  The key difference between the two films was the feelings of the audience towards their titular monster.  While the audience was encouraged to feel sympathy and sorrow for Frankenstein's Monster, the Invisible Man was a character to be reviled and feared.  Driven mad by the same sciences that made him invisible, we witness him commit vile acts of premeditated violence.  In the book, the Invisible Man was not driven insane by his experiments.  But by adding the insanity measure, Whale was able to create a new breed of monster: the genius sociopath.  In his insanity I can see flickers of Hannibal Lector and his calculations, driven home in a sequence where he makes good on a promise to murder a colleague at 10:00.  On a side note, I was amazed by how violent the film was by 1930s standards.  The film explicitly states that his body count was well over 120 victims, many of whom we see dispatched on screen.  Maybe there is a dose of Jason Voorhees in him as well...

8/10

6 comments:

  1. After I watch Whale's Frankenstein I'll have to check this one out. That is a pretty high body count for any era!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm telling ya...I don't think that Freddy Kreuger has killed that many during his entire career!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're absolutely right; Whale was an audacious filmmaker--his alter ego must be Dr. Pretorius in Bride of Frankenstein.

    When I was a kid, I asked my dad who played the invisible man. He admitted it was a puzzler because, you know, he was invisible, right? So eventually we go off to bed and everyone settles down and the house gets quiet--and suddenly I hear my father shout in sudden triumph, "Claude Rains!" And you wonder where your get your passions from ...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, well: he "sounded" awesome; he's gone now, Outside Over There--but watching Gunga Din (a film he saw every day for a week when it was originally released; he would've been 13) with Cary Grant on one side and Victor McLaglen on the other, laughing and crying at all the right moments. "A better man than I am," and how.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know what you mean. My dad is the same way. Of course...instead of seeing "Gunga Din" seven times in the theater, he saw "You Got Mail" seven times.

    ReplyDelete