A collection of informal movie reviews for the purpose of documenting my thoughts on the films that I watch.
Sunday, December 31, 2017
Inherent Vice: Paul Thomas Anderson
Oy...but didn't Paul Thomas Anderson's Inherent Vice have the single sexiest and erotic scene of any movie I've ever seen? It was so sexy that when it finally exploded into sex I felt let down. The build-up, the anticipation was just perfect as Shasta (Katherine Waterston) teases and torments her ex-boyfriend Larry "Doc" Sportello (Joaquin Phoenix) with nothing but the sole of her foot. Unf. Oh yeah, I suppose there's a whole film here to consider. I get what Anderson was trying to do: use the trappings of the neo-noir genre to make a statement about the burned out post-Altamont stoner crowd. And to that end, the film gets the job done, especially with regards to how blatantly it eschews trying to tell any kind of cohesive narrative. But I felt underwhelmed. The best part of the film--other than the one I mentioned at the top of this review--was the antagonistic friendship between Doc and Det. Christian F. "Bigfoot" Bjornsen (Josh Brolin). This is a film I think I'll need to revisit later.
6/10
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment