A collection of informal movie reviews for the purpose of documenting my thoughts on the films that I watch.
Friday, October 23, 2015
The Silence: Ingmar Bergman
[Revisit Review]
The first time I saw Ingmar Bergman's The Silence was in college...and I hated it. I'm not entirely sure why in hindsight: maybe I thought it was boring. But re-watching it years and years later, I'm stunned by the film's simple power. I think it might now be in my top ten favorite Bergman films. The scenes involving the tanks rolling by the train window is one of those blessed moments like the climactic "Life of the Mind" sequence in the Coen Brothers' Barton Fink (1991) that seem to have sprung fully formed from the filmmakers' foreheads with little to no artistic precedent. Bergman's images have rarely been more powerful.
9/10
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment