A collection of informal movie reviews for the purpose of documenting my thoughts on the films that I watch.
Saturday, July 29, 2017
Logan: James Mangold
James Mangold’s Logan isn’t just a dark superhero film because Wolverine drops f-bombs and gruesomely kills people. It isn’t just dark because it features scenes of children being tortured and murdered, of innocent people getting butchered, or for the cataclysmic gore of its fight scenes. It’s dark because it espouses a cynical, weary worldview. It’s dark because it addresses topics like aging and death, mental illness and the soul-destroying impact of watching loved ones wither away and forget you. Logan is the kind of mature superhero film I’ve been waiting for—the characters are moving, the story gripping, the fight scenes extraordinary (although some of the CGI—particularly a scene involving horses on a freeway with obviously digital 16-wheelers—is grating). This is the rare film that earns its pessimism. And I hope we get more superhero films like it.
8/10
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment