A collection of informal movie reviews for the purpose of documenting my thoughts on the films that I watch.
Tuesday, January 2, 2018
Raw: Julia Ducournau
Just like the other films of the French New Extremity, Julia Ducournau's Raw falls apart and becomes stupider the more you think about it. Yes, the gore is disgusting and shocking and it's a powerful metaphor for sexual awakening and blah blah blah. But after a while it just becomes silly and ridiculous. Also--and I hate to be this guy especially since I've grown to hate this form of criticism--but the plot has too many holes. Why would the parents let their girls go to college if they knew they were violent, murderous cannibals? Why wouldn't a school expel the girls after the morgue video got leaked? Did the police really never become suspicious that so many random cars were crashing in that conspicuously empty country road? The whole allegorical concept of the plot falls apart in the wake of these holes! Gah!
5/10
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment