Sunday, November 5, 2017

It Comes at Night: Trey Edward Shults


Jeez...it's been a while since we've had a feel bad horror film of this magnitude. Trey Edward Shults' It Comes at Night might be the most depressing, nihilistic, and tragic horror film in years. And yes, I do think it's a horror film. I've heard a lot of people claim it isn't, but I disagree. There aren't any actual monsters or ghosts or demons in this film. Instead, the true monsters are the survivors trapped in that house. It reminds me a great deal of Dan Trachtenberg's 10 Cloverfield Lane (2016), another film about a group of people forced to shelter together against an unknown, unseen threat. Both films also share a maniacal patriarchal figure: in this case it's Paul (Joel Edgerton), a dormant lunatic whose madness becomes apparent whenever his authority gets challenged. And I do think that his inability to be challenged is what sets him off, not necessarily his need to protect his family from the plague ravaging humanity.

8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment