A collection of informal movie reviews for the purpose of documenting my thoughts on the films that I watch.
Thursday, December 11, 2014
Three Colors: White: Krzysztof Kieślowski
[Revisit Review]
Krzysztof Kieślowski's Three Colors: White is a fine film, but I don't think it holds up alongside Three Colors: Blue. Watching the latter, I felt like I was having a transcendental experience whereby I was being revealed some kind of great truth. Three Colors: White feels more pedestrian in comparison. I thought long and hard about why this was, and I think I figured it out: Blue was more focused on character while White was more focused on Plot with a capital "p." Blue had more freedom to explore emotions, build atmosphere, and orient the audience into a different state of mind. White is too busy getting from plot point 'a' to plot point 'b' for it to have time for many of these essential diversions.
7/10
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment