A collection of informal movie reviews for the purpose of documenting my thoughts on the films that I watch.
Friday, October 26, 2012
High School Big Shot: Joel Rapp
I'm told that Joel Rapp's High School Big Shot has several similarities with Stanley Kubrick's The Killing (1956). Both have a down-trodden protagonist who becomes embroiled in a massive theft. Both have the protagonist being betrayed by their unfaithful love interest who wants to keep all of the loot for herself. And both end with the unceremonious deaths of almost all of their major characters. There certainly are many uncanny similarities between the two. But in a strange way I hope that Rapp didn't get inspiration from The Killing. Because if he did, then it really speaks to his incompetence as a film-maker that he would make such a bad movie based on such a fantastic source. High School Big Shot is a bland film full of bad actors and terrible photography. Marv Grant is a nerdy high school student with an alcoholic father and a crush for the pretty and popular Betty Alexander. Betty is bad news, though. She manipulates him into writing a term paper for her. After they are caught cheating, he decides to take part in an upcoming robbery to impress her. But Betty tells her real boyfriend Vince about Marv's plan and the two scheme to take the spoils for themselves. Wait...didn't I already say that? Ugh...I'm repeating myself. But can you blame me? High School Big Shot is so forgettable that I can't even remember what I wrote about it two minutes ago! I need to stop writing before I start this review all over again...
4/10
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment