A collection of informal movie reviews for the purpose of documenting my thoughts on the films that I watch.
Sunday, September 16, 2012
Escape 2000: Enzo G. Castellari
One of these days I intend to do an in-depth analysis of Italy's fascination with New York City. I can't even begin to count all of the no-budget Italian flicks that are set in "New York." I understand that many of the movies that they're ripping off were set in New York, but it seems like it would be more economical to set them in Italy instead of another country. But I digress. Enzo G. Castellari's Escape 2000 is a sequel to the grimace-inducingly titled 1990: The Bronx Warriors. In this film, the Bronx's population is being liquified by the General Construction Corporation who wants to tear everything down and replace it with "the city of the future." Of course, they do this by deporting the population to...uh...somewhere...and killing all of the squatters. A cynical biker named Trash leads the resistance to stop the General Construction Corporation and expose their crimes to the rest of the world. It's all fairly average stuff as far as dystopian futures are concerned. Good innocent people are oppressed by suit-wearing bureaucrats and street urchins fight for liberation. The footage is grainy, poorly shot, the acting is campy and wooden, and the special effects are cringe-worthy. So now I return to my original question: why did this film have to be set in the Bronx? I guess the phrase "Clear the Bronx" sounds more threatening then, say, "Clear the Plaza!"
4/10
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment