Thursday, August 25, 2011

The Black Cat: Lucio Fulci


After a while, all of Lucio Fulci's films begin to blend together into an incoherent mush.  They all have the same elements: extended gore and sex sequences, slow scenes of painful expository dialogue, poorly defined characters, and a vague, metaphysical malaise that settles on top of the whole mess.  In The Black Cat we have a film supposedly based on a story of the same name by Edgar Allen Poe.  I say "supposedly" because I don't think that Poe ever wrote something this ridiculous.  In this film, a small village is beset by a chain of violent murders which are carried out by none other than regular black housecats.  Of course, they're not just housecats...they have been possessed by a local psychic to do his bidding.  Why is he doing this?  What is the source of his power?  How are these villagers so laughably kill-able?  These questions are never answered.  Amazingly, I can't recall the name of a single character in this film.  It's all just a long chain of murders, talking, and close-ups of black cats.  I doubt very seriously that this movie was what Poe had in mind when he first wrote The Black Cat.

5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment