A collection of informal movie reviews for the purpose of documenting my thoughts on the films that I watch.
Monday, December 19, 2016
Moana: Ron Clements, John Musker
Ron Clements and John Musker's Moana is about as good the current Disney princess formula can probably get. It's still blandly formulaic: a young princess (who isn't thrilled about being a princess, she's a regular person, thank you very much!) goes on a magical quest of self-determination where she must do battle with terrible, singing villains alongside wacky sidekicks. But here's the thing: Moana is quite possibly the most likeable Disney princess in years. The music is certainly the best that's appeared in any Disney film since the 90s Renaissance. The comedic relief (for the most part) works. The art is gorgeous and striking. But there's still almost no attention paid to atmosphere and tone. It feels like a string of plot points with all the connective tissue sliced out. I know that the folks at Disney and Pixar are huge Studio Ghibli fans. I wish they tried to emulate their work more. I'm not saying they can't make musicals about princesses. But the story has turned stale. They need something new.
8/10
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment