A collection of informal movie reviews for the purpose of documenting my thoughts on the films that I watch.
Monday, December 31, 2012
Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure: Stephen Herek
Stephen Herek's Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure was always one of those films that I kicked myself for never having watched. Not only was it a personal favorite of many of my friends, it was one of the most frequently quoted and incessantly referenced films of the 1980s. That's quite an impressive feat for a decade that also gave us Back to the Future (1985) and Indiana Jones. After finally kicking myself enough times, I gave the film a watch. And now, I can finally understand why it was so popular. This film about two high school slackers who come into possession of a time machine is no work of high art in the vein of Kubrick or Bresson. But it still remains an incredibly entertaining, thoroughly enjoyable piece of cinema. It may be as formulaic as Hollywood films come in terms of story structure (I could hear the individual parts of the three-act story structure fall into place with deafening 'thuds'), but that does little to diminish the pleasure that this film delivers. Its sense of irreverence, indefatigable joy, and enthusiasm elevate this simple film into cinematic Valhalla.
7/10
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I'm glad you finally got to see Bill & Ted, its one of my favorite comedies. The sequel (Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey) is unsurprisingly not as good but I still enjoyed it, especially the Seventh Seal parody.
ReplyDeleteSEVENTH SEAL parody?! Sign me up!
DeleteI still can't believe it took you this long to watch it. That is SO crates, dude.
ReplyDeleteI know, right? Bogus!
DeleteDon't feel bad. I still haven't watched it yet. :(
DeleteMatt: You should! It's great!
Delete