A collection of informal movie reviews for the purpose of documenting my thoughts on the films that I watch.
Friday, January 4, 2013
Traxx: Jerome Gary
Jerome Gary's Traxx is a pure delight! Imagine if Zucker, Abrahams and Zucker did a self-aware 80s action movie where the nearly invincible hero decided to give up his day job and start making and selling cookies. Sound ridiculous? Well, this all happens in the first ten or so minutes of Traxx. And believe me when I tell you that it is just getting started in the insanity department! After quickly running out of funds, ex-mercenary/soldier Traxx (Shadoe Stevens) decides that the best way to make enough money to keep his new business venture afloat is to offer his "services" as a "sheriff" to the nearby town of Hadleyville, Texas. This, as you can imagine, involves a ton of over-the-top violence. I don't think that I have ever seen a film starring Stevens before, which is a real shame considering that he gives an absolutely incredible performance. Not only is he a completely believable action star, but he also possesses a fantastic sense of comedic timing. He is also one of the few actors that I have ever seen who can successfully display smug self-awareness towards his actions without breaking the 4th Wall. It makes me wish that he had been in more films. If Traxx is any indication, he could have easily been one of the great 80s action stars.
8/10
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment