Monday, July 25, 2016

Ghostbusters: Paul Feig


Screw what the other critics said. I loved the third act of Paul Feig's Ghostbusters. It was loud, colorful, fun, and most importantly, it kept the awful improvisational comedy to a minimum. That was what really sank the film for me. I know that the original Ghostbusters (1984) allowed its talent freedom to improvise and riff on whatever was going on, but they improvised jokes, not entire bits. Those Patrick Swayze and "cat's out of the bag" routines were pure torture to sit through. But I genuinely enjoyed much of the rest of the film. The four Ghostbusters were excellent. Kristen Wiig in particular shocked me with how much I liked her. I assumed her character would be the equivalent of a dead fish or a flimsy handshake. But she ended up being my favorite. The main villain was weak as hell, though. I think the first moment I truly cringed at the film was when we saw him giving a Travis Bickle monologue to himself in a mirror, explaining his evil plan and his back-story. Give me a break.

6/10

No comments:

Post a Comment