Sunday, February 11, 2018

Winchester: The Spierig Brothers


It is with a heavy heart that I must report that RottenTomatoes is back on its bullsh*t again. Somehow they decided to give the Spierig Brothers' Winchester a 10% rating. Balderdash. It's a solid 7/10. It does nothing new, breaks no ground, but it tells an intriguing story well and effectively. I'm amazed that there haven't been movies on the Winchester Mystery House before, because it's a perfect setting for horror. The Spierig's may have invented a totally fictional story, but I found it to be a particularly compelling one about getting over grief and loss. There were even some great scares! Take the scene where the mirror keeps tilting away from the protagonist's face towards a chair several times before revealing somebody standing behind the mirror itself. And what about that reveal that shows that that one servant was actually a demonic ghost? Good stuff. Much better than 10%.

7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment