A collection of informal movie reviews for the purpose of documenting my thoughts on the films that I watch.
Monday, September 15, 2014
Loulou: Maurice Pialat
I'm not entirely sure what I think about Maurice Pialat's Loulou. On the one hand, the central performances courtesy of Isabelle Huppert and Gérard Depardieu are excellent and the two share a remarkable on-screen chemistry. But the characters are one-dimensional and flat. I also didn't feel that Pialat effectively addressed his central story element: a bourgeois woman who abandons her marriage and prosperity for an intensely sexual relationship with an unemployed slacker. If Pialat was trying to make a statement about sexual need, then he shouldn’t have used strawman characters like the woman’s husband who was obsessive and abusive. That gives her a REASON to cheat. A more proper statement against the bourgeoisie would be if he was the PERFECT husband. Any woman, regardless of class, would try to escape an abusive spouse. So his indictment of the upper-class lifestyle falls flat. Still, for what it's worth, the acting was great.
6/10
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment