Sunday, December 31, 2017

The Gang's All Here: Busby Berkeley


I'll level with you all: I didn't pay attention to the plot in Busby Berkeley's The Gang's All Here. At all. I'm pretty sure it was some aggressively forgettable story about lovers who fall in and out of love and work out their problems with the help of song-and-dance numbers. When you go into a Busby Berkeley film, you go in for the dance numbers anyway. And the ones in this film are pretty good, especially the ones with Carmen Miranda. Yes, this was one of the most famous films to come from the America/Brazil Good Neighbor Policy cultural exchange. Miranda immortalized herself with her fruit hats, searing herself into the national consciousness. The banana dance scene is easily the most impressive and entertaining in the entire film. And I'm pretty sure Benny Goodman was there too. But since he doesn't dance, I didn't particularly care when he showed up onscreen.

7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment