Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Guardians of the Galaxy: James Gunn


[Spoilers Ahead]

James Gunn's Guardians of the Galaxy is saved from a mediocre script and uninspired villains by its gleeful sense of irrelevance. Ronan feels too much like a watered down Darth Vader, Zoe Saldana and Karen Gillan spend the entire film competing to see who can give the more wooden performance, and the use of CGI is overbearing. And yet, the film is infectiously entertaining. Chris Pratt is perfect as Starlord, Bradley Cooper is a revelation as Rocket Raccoon, and Vin Diesel stole the show as Groot. The film is wickedly endearing and funny. I don't know if there was a dry eye in the theater when Groot said, "We are Groot." I do wish that they had kept Groot dead at the end. A more clever director would have saved Groot's resurrection for the third act of the sequel. But I digress. Guardians of the Galaxy is a bona fide crowd-pleaser. I just hope that the team will develop its own identity in time for the sequel and not just continue their watered-down Star Wars/Firefly shtick.

7/10

2 comments:

  1. Outside of Loki the Marvel movies haven't done a great job with their villains. If Ronan is a watered down Darth Vader than he is also a beefed up version of the villain from Thor: The Dark World. I loved the soundtrack and liked how it was actually tied into the plot.

    ReplyDelete