Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Popstar: Never Stop Never Stopping: Akiva Schaffer, Jorma Taccone


I really wished I liked Akiva Schaffer and Jorma Taccone's Popstar: Never Stop Never Stopping as much as everybody else seems to. I like The Lonely Island and I've always enjoyed Andy Samberg as an actor. But this film just isn't funny. See, here's the problem: it's a comedic mockumentary that knows it's a comedic mockumentary. The film pauses several times to make sure that the audience got certain jokes: an off-screen character will repeat the punchline, somebody involved will narrate what just happened. Unlike This Is Spinal Tap (1984), which has been repeatedly compared to Popstar, it never feels like any of these characters could actually be real. None of the music is particularly interesting either, something especially egregious considering how much unironic love the music in This Is Spinal Tap gets. Still, it was worth it just to see Martin Sheen punch Andy Samberg in the face.

5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment