A collection of informal movie reviews for the purpose of documenting my thoughts on the films that I watch.
Friday, August 19, 2016
Her: Spike Jonze
Spike Jonze's Her is one of those films I'd love to shove into the faces of people who sneer at American cinema, declaring it a wasteland of blockbusters and crowd-pleasing pablum. Her isn't just a ferociously intelligent sci-fi story with a conclusion that defies traditional genre expectations, it's a devastating examination of loneliness and mankind's need to find love and affection. It's also one of the most gorgeous American films in recent memory. Cinematographer Hoyte van Hoytema deliberately eliminated the color blue as frequently as possible, giving it a rapturous visual sheen. The production design is equally staggering: set in a near-future Los Angeles, this world feels like one that could actually come into being. I loved the odd skyscrapers and subtle touches like the shadow paintings that ascend with the elevators.
9/10
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment