Thursday, October 5, 2017

King Arthur: Legend of the Sword: Guy Ritchie


Well this was quite the movie. Imagine if you took all the Christianity out of Arthurian legend, rolled it in pseudo-history where the ancient Britons conquered the Isles away from the Vikings, and added a dash of Lord of the Rings CGI vomit. Then chop it all up with Guy Ritchie's hyper-kinetic editing style while peppering it with a good dash of misogyny (is there a single woman in the entire film who isn't threatened, beaten, or murdered?). Then you'd have King Arthur: Legend of the Sword. I'll give it this: it's legitimately unlike anything else I've ever seen in a sword-and-sorcery film. I love how all the expository scenes of Arthur growing up into Charlie Hunnam and the rebels planning all their schemes are achieved through millisecond length montages that blend past and present. I love how the film played fast and loose with a tired, codified mythology. And some of the ideas are quite good--particularly how Arthur's father protected Excalibur by plunging it into his back, thereby becoming the eponymous stone for the Sword in the Stone. But too much of it is dominated by bland action and CGI. Still..quite a trip.

6/10

No comments:

Post a Comment