A collection of informal movie reviews for the purpose of documenting my thoughts on the films that I watch.
Saturday, November 29, 2014
Umberto D.: Vittorio De Sica
[Revisit Review]
The first time I ever saw Vittorio De Sica's Umberto D. was when I was first getting into film in a serious manner. If I remember correctly, I watched it either because it was one of Roger Ebert's Great Movies or because it was on the Criterion Collection. I can't remember which one in particular. But I can remember that it was one of the defining experiences of my time as a fledgling cinephile. And several years later, I still find it an incredibly moving film, but for slightly different reasons. The first time I saw it, I admired it for its humanity and for the simple power of its ending. But this time I was amazed by the sparseness and economy of its visual language. The frequent low-angle long shots in the apartment impressed me the most of all. But I was also surprised by how little dialogue the film contains. So much of the story is expressed purely through the use of images. I am thrilled that I finally got around to re-watching this film. I am already looking forward to my next viewing.
9/10
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment