A collection of informal movie reviews for the purpose of documenting my thoughts on the films that I watch.
Saturday, August 31, 2013
The Atomic Brain: Joseph V. Mascelli
Abandon all hope, ye who enter here. For all who choose to watch Joseph V. Mascelli's The Atomic Brain are dooming themselves to a hellish fate of mind-numbing blandness and truly fatiguing tedium. After what must be fifteen minutes of a droning voice-over explaining the set-up of the film (so much for showing and not telling), we are treated to a lifeless tale of an elderly woman who intends to transplant her brain into the body of one of three immigrant girls that she hires as servants. I wish I could tell you that something more interesting happens...but it doesn't. The Atomic Brain is dead on arrival. I rarely see films that are this soul-crushingly boring. Imagine, if you will, if somebody took a hypodermic needle and extracted every drop of tension, atmosphere, horror, dread, and talent from a Val Newton RKO horror picture from the 1940s. The only way that The Atomic Brain could redeem itself would be if it was used as a sleeping aid for chronic insomniacs.
2/10
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I'm sorry, I love this piece o' crap LOL it's just so wrong-headed and weird, and it has Judy Bamber from BUCKET OF BLOOD so I can't hate it. Plus that old lady is such a sublime villainess. And the Mexican chick with a horrendous accent who turns into a cat woman. Sigh, yeah I love this one.
ReplyDeleteFair enough, my friend. Fair enough.
Delete